- Essays will be scored on the current state learning standards for writing and will be scored on content, organization, language/conventions, and style per the program judging form.
- Deadline for submissions: postmarked no later than March 1 each year.
- Entries must include a completed and signed PTA Men’s Essay Contest application form, typed or handwritten legibly on an 8 ½” x 11” sheet of paper, and be no more than 650 words.
- One entry per student; multiple entries from one student will be disqualified.
- Open to all Washington State children K-12 in public, private or home-school settings.
- Each entry must be an original, not be written by a parent or professional, has not previously won a prize, and does not infringe upon the copyright or other proprietary rights of any third party.
- Awards will be presented at the Reflections Celebration in the Spring.
WSPTA Partners With Buell Recreation to Offer Playground Grants for Local PTA Schools
We hope you read the article in last week’s Membership News about WSPTA’s new partnership with Buell Recreation and BCI Burke to offer a grant opportunity for our local PTAs/PTSAs in good standing. The grants will provide credit toward playground equipment to WSPTA member PTAs to upgrade and improve their schools' equipment. WSPTA is the only state PTA in the nation offering this opportunity to its members. Up to $200,000 in grants will be awarded.
Playground Planning Guide: To help with planning, PTA leaders and/or members will receive a free Playground Planning Guide after completing a brief application. Only local PTA board members may apply for a grant after their membership has voted to approve applying for it.
Playground Equipment Grants: First-Come, First-Served
The WSPTA playground equipment grants offer PTAs opportunities to bring play into schools that need upgrades and improvements. To offset some of the costs of playground equipment, local PTA presidents or board members can apply for a grant here. The application deadline is June 30 and $200,000 in grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Awardees will receive grant funds toward the purchase of an approved play structure in the form of a discount off of the list price. Please note that application for a grant does not guarantee a grant award. Questions? Contact Buell Recreation, 800-266-1250.